Monday, November 26, 2012

Strongman, how most people approach and how to get better, faster.





In the last two articles I went over common misconceptions and common personalities/goals of strongmen. So now that I have kind of showed everyone what NOT to do, the next place to go is, how DO you get better? Is there a quick way to get better? Lucky for everyone I have been down this road and there is a quick way, there is a better way, but SURPRISE, it is NOT going to be fun (unless you are sadistic like me ;) ).

When I began strongman I was a natural, I was very talented in the sport with only one or two weaknesses, tire and pressing. I figured I could dodge those events and make up points somewhere else, WRONG! When you have a weakness you have two things that need to happen as soon as possible.

1. Do contests that you have weaknesses in.
2. Train your weaknesses often and first.

Now if neither one of these sounds fun, it is because neither option is any fun. But they are effective! I entered my first contest and there was an axle clean and press and a tire flip. I did well in all the other events but I missed out on a lot of points from these events. I did not press the axle for a single rep, and the tire was flipped maybe 4 times in 60 seconds. So what did I do to get better? I busted my butt! I let my embarrassment fuel my workouts.

I began training presses at the beginning of my week to ensure that my legs would be fresh and ready for any ‘leg drive’ that was necessary for big overhead pressing. Within a year my presses and primarily my jerks had came along quite well! My tire still suffered but I was able to avoid major work on my tire til about a year later after a tire flip event cost me the first “(2007-2008?)Washington’s Strongest Apple” title.

The tire story for me is very much the same, and out of anyone I know, the tire WAS my LEAST favorite event. There was nothing I liked about the tire, we did not get along to say the least. And again for about a year straight, every Saturday, 6am, first event was the tire flip. And a year later I returned to “(2008-2009?)Washington’s Strongest Apple” and I faced a field that had one year prior CRUSHED me at the tire flip and I flipped until I could not flip anymore. The end result was a First place in the tire flip, beating Breck Gault (I do not think he had ever been beaten in a tire flip in contest) and a first place in the contest.

Sidenote- I will never forget when Breck approached me after the event and told me I had won the tire flip, he was so happy for me it was crazy, just one of the many moments that will be in my mind forever.

The point I am getting at is simple, if you want uncommon results then put in uncommon work. You will never get better at an event you do not practice or devote yourself to.

This approach should not be confined to strongman but to life in general, constantly push your comfort zone and challenge yourself!

1 comment:

  1. Innovative Jackie U. arm travelling bag is definitely extra difference which includes a exceptional colouring dior replica for instance treasure inexperienced, homemade wine purple plus profound auburn. I enjoy a auburn set innovative Jackie travelling bag a great deal of. Them benefits solo varied wrist strap by using stiched element. An entire arm wrist strap helps ensure it can relax adequately against your arm as well as insides is definitely absolutely provided which includes a contrasting fake rolex soft fabric. A actual measurements of your travelling bag usually means that must be a good deal significant more than enough. Its beautifully exquisite to get retaining any each day tools. To be found in quite a few wonderfully dazzling colorations for any fake rado originate plus summertime this is usually a travelling bag that should take you found for your perfect explanations, glamour plus splendor. The following innovative massive Jackie arm travelling bag contains Gucci controllato unit card, Gucci caution unit card, plus Gucci custom logo debris travelling bag. If you ever fake breitling private the following Gucci handbags, you will be unquestionably element of an internationally design 'ninja-like'. Gals who seem to transport reputable Gucci purses and handbags show off precisely the same plus rolex replica draw in highest possible eyes. Easier going with pleasantly surprised along at the green with envy appears to be like you will receive out of alternative gals.

    ReplyDelete